Who are NATS?
NATS is the UK’s leading Air Navigation Service Provider (ANSP). Every year we handle 2.6 million flights and keep 250 million passengers safe whilst in UK airspace. We provide air traffic management (ATM) services to 13 airports in the UK as well as providing these services around the world spanning Europe, Middle East, Asia and North America.
We’re shaping the future of ATM through our focus on ‘advancing aviation and keeping the skies safe’ and believe that the size and diversity of our business makes us an exciting choice for undergraduates considering their future careers.
What will the Operations Training Graduate scheme involve?
This 2 year programme will be based at our Head Office in Whiteley (Hampshire) or in our Air Traffic Control Centre in Swanwick (Hampshire) however we have adopted ‘agile working’ which will enable you, where possible, to have the opportunity and flexibility to work in our modern office facilities as well as at home.
Operations Training provides operational training and learning solutions to our Operational colleagues including Air Traffic Controllers and Operational Support Staff across our Operational centres. We plan, analyse, design, develop, deliver, and evaluate programmes for our learners throughout their career including initial training to gain an Air Traffic license, through to Continuous Professional Development, and training for large-scale changes in tools, procedures, and airspace.
The team are also responsible for implementing an ambitious transformation programme, modernising our operational training offering to support our teams and individuals to perform at their best and create training to meet the needs of the controller of the future.
The initial 2 years of the role will provide the opportunity to experience different aspects of Operations Training through a series of placements and projects.
Some examples of the challenges you will experience are;
- Working across the team to apply critical thinking to analyse design problems
- Contribute to the creation of a learning culture to enable an aligned and consistent learning culture across Operations Training.
- Support Learning & Development consultancy services, coaching, mentoring and facilitation support to add value to other business areas across NATS.
- Working with the business area (i.e. Operations training) to improve decision making processes using data and finding new ways to improve training.
- Working as a change agent to interrogate data, provide solutions, identify and drive areas for improvement and work with relevant teams to implement changes.
- Use technology as an enabler (automate data, drive for single source data etc) to solve a business need.
Why choose NATS?
You’ll be working at the heart of our organisation, alongside other Graduates, Undergraduate Students and Professionals. You’ll gain valuable insight into our business and make a tangible contribution to our success. Your placement experience will be unique to you so you can build on knowledge you have gained at university. We are committed to your personal and professional development and will help you achieve your goals.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for driven, proactive and committed individuals who will embrace the challenging targets that we’ve set ourselves over the next few years. One thing is clear to us; we can only achieve these targets through our people. We’ll be leading the way technically, operationally, commercially and politically and you can help us shape the future.
You’ll need to have achieved a minimum of 2:2 in a degree that could be based on social sciences, learning and development, analytics or sciences and have demonstrable passion for something outside of your studies. Ideally, you’ll also be able to demonstrate:
Great engagement and influencing skills with a tenacity to deliver within demanding timescales
Exemplary communication and problem-solving skills (ability to work with SMEs, think on your feet, adapting style to the audience and being able to translate their solutions in an accessible way).
Analytical and critical thinking (understand the business needs, ability to evaluate/assess the success of any data, processes or technology to support it)
You’ll also need to pass NATS pre-employment security clearance checks.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary - £28,000 per annum
- 28 days of holiday entitlement plus Bank Holidays
- Market-leading defined contribution pension scheme
- Opportunity to study for a fully-funded professional qualification (where applicable)
- For more information on the benefits we offer, please visit https://www.nats.aero/careers/early-careers/
Diversity and Inclusion at NATS
We celebrate the diversity of our colleagues. We thrive because we are all brilliantly different yet united in our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe.
If you share our passion to advance aviation and keep the skies safe – we would like to hear from you whatever your age, sex, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, visible or invisible disability. Individuals that bring different perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds help us be at the forefront of our industry.
We want you to be able to perform at your best, so please email [email protected] if you’d like to discuss any reasonable adjustments.
APPLY via our recruitment system